Thursday 29 August 2013

Postcard from Norfolk

I am a fan of the humble postcard.
 In this digital age of Facebook updates and Instagram (which I also love !) the postcard seems to me, an altogether different proposition, one that requires a certain sort of mindset and discipline. From the act of selection, to the writing and posting you are the editor in chief of a mini, and, uniquely personal holiday review. Whilst there may be hundreds of identical postcards floating around the postal system, each one is individually crafted. Some may be superficial and perfunctory, some full of longing for left behind lovers, some, wildly descriptive, some full of self congratulation, some covered in illustrations and doodles, some carry special messages in code...all are franked and dated and adorned with a stamp. Oh the possibilities, I love their potential as they arrive on the doormat. First a smile followed by a glance at the image. Then, flicking over, words that have been carefully squeezed onto the available white space...kisses that wrap around the address box. What then? to be tucked onto a mantle or sill, reminding all of your absence. Perhaps to be tucked into a book only to be found many years later by  a different generation or random purchaser at a jumble sale. 
~~~
When we were clearing out and packing up the family home we stumbled over a whole book of postcards...some of them were, in fact, images of long forgotten relatives, mostly black and white, featuring them in extraordinary locations along with images of municipal parks and buildings...fascinating. Every one, for me, contained the first line of a novel, chapters in lives I know little or nothing of...
~~~
Back to Norfolk, first I should say that we stayed in a much loved family cottage belonging to a friend of a friend...
I was so at home, from the moment I stepped over the threshold ~ I was utterly charmed, it felt so familiar and cosy. 
I am smiling as I remember it and all its sweet detail...lets face it, anywhere boasting a dolly tub with artfully positioned feather at the front door...
 
 Norfolk has such big skies ~ 
far more expansive than the ones we are used to up on our windy Wealden Lane. How I love to discover new parts of this green and pleasant land, though I confess to still feeling a tiny bit disloyal to our beloved County of Kernow. The early morning walks I shared with Boodle from the cottage were heavenly...
Our days spent visiting the "Staithes" long walks, swimming in the sea, picnics and dusky sunsets watching boats...oh and crabs, lots of crabs!

We visited Holt, Burnham and Blakeney in search of tasty local produce and were rewarded handsomely...plus we were treated to book sales, antiques and gorgeous streets at every turn...
 I love the texture and patterns of Norfolk...in my mind's eye I saw Angie Lewin prints everywhere...
...Above all else I adored the evenings...

...Raise my hands, paint my spirit gold...

 --x--

I am laughing at my extraordinarily long postcard! Thank you for staying so long, you are too kind!

26 comments:

  1. I love Norfolk and Suffolk too and like you I've recently spent time there. My son's house sits virtually on the border between the two counties. There are so many pretty villages and such lovely countryside. Enjoyed your postcard:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely, you can feel the warm late summer breeze just looking at your images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just found you, where have you been hiding?!! Your blog is so full of gorgeous photography and words but what jumped out was the Norfolk postcard. Norfolk is on my doorstep as I am on the borders of Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, but I am in Lincolnshire (how confusing!). The skies are huge around there and the sunsets are amazing. Looking forward to more 'post cards' xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Norfolk - and could move into that cottage straight away! Such a special place xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous read.
    It is many years ago that we went to Norfolk staying in a beautiful old house, we even took our rabbit with us.
    I remember wonderful bike rides and going to see the seals.
    Even though I live in a beautiful part of France I often remember favourite places in the UK - Norfolk is one of them.

    Thank you for such a lovely read.

    Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures, what a very special house you stayed in. I once stayed in a rented cottage near Swaffam that was ramshackle and eccentric but very pretty and your post took me back to that time, waking up very early to go and stroke the horses in the stable behind the house and getting my paints out before anyone was awake! Betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely post, and what beautiful pictures. I have never been to Norfolk, but really want to now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! I feel like I just leafed through a tin of postcards from your trip- with little snippets on the back in the form of your captions!

    And, of course, I LOVE the shot of Boodle on the path!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fabulous "postcard". Thank you for sharing such glorious images. Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such stunning images. I could read it all over again. The combination of your words and the beautiful photos of your holiday are just delicious.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Sarah - that all looks positively peachy! I have to confess to loving the big wide opened space of it all...even the coast cannot bring me that much sky.

    Happy holidaying

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to receive your postcard!All sooooo beautiful! I've been holidaying in Norfolk since I was 14,and never tire of it, and in a couple of years plan to live there...maybe in a little cottage just like that!

    Bellaboo X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love North Norfolk and your photos capture it beautifully. I wonder if it's too late for a last minute summer visit?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your beautiful postcard....I'm going to add lovely Norfolk on my holiday wishlist too! Anita xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you from the U.S. I am planning a trip (my first) to England at the end of Sept and I cannot wait to visit your lovely, wild and flowery part of the country. Your page has been an inspiration to me. xo thea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Thea ~ Oh that is a lovely thing to say, thank you. September is a particularly beautiful time of year ~ enjoy your trip...Sarah --x--

      Delete
  16. Such lovely post cards, all of them beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sarah Jane, I thought this blog might be right up your alley, handmade postcards,done by people at all levels of artistic ability. There is a Facebook page, Etegami fun club. I am hooked and have made many new friends all over the world.
    http://etegamibydosankodebbie.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never been to Norfolk (shamefully). It looks gorgeous. Lovely photos and that cottage you stayed in looked a dream x

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cottage looks stunning & I'm guessing you were on the north coast of Norfolk?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mixed opinions here about Peter Capaldi taking over.
    Graham thinks it's a great choice. I loved him as Malcolm Tucker, he scared me at times with his devious wickedness but I thought he was just totally fabulous too. Tony had just one thing to say 'he's too old', but then he is used to DT and MS. Savanna hasn't really voiced an opinion, I think she's just looking forward to the cakes and biscuits!
    How wonderful that you and the Little Faraways share such a love for the Doctor. Did you watch the Dr Who proms? I'm not sure if it's even available but I have put in a request for a CD of performance, stunning!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enchanting photographs of Norfolk! They make me want to go there and see it all for myself :-)

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was the best ever postcard, & believe me I have read a few! Could be because I spent my honeymoon (do they still do honeymoons?) at a friend's cottage in Norfolk, a few (like 40) years ago! Your photos have made me stop in my tracks and taken my breath away (am I still breathing?) I feel every one of them. Thank you so much Sarah Jane, for taking me to a place that I had forgotten meant so very much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a wonderful postcard/post - I skimmed through it, then went away and got myself a bar of chocolate to really indulge while I read and savoured it slowly.

    Beautiful photos - and such a wonderful way to bring back memories of my own Norfolk holidays with those large skies and endless evenings... thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These beautiful images make me want to leave for Norfolk.
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  25. One of the best postcards I received recently! I love your words as much as I love your photos here. What a breath of a fresh air! (I love sending postcards and I will never forget when one of my friends shared what "a breath of fresh air" is seeing the envelope with my name on it among only bills and flyers)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for contacting me! I love to hear from you it makes me smile x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.