Thursday 17 July 2014

Mown and Grown

The long days yawn ahead. 
Long and lazy. 
Pyjama clad, Croc footed I head for the fields with the lark and Boodle.
First stop the Cowshed, new doors fresh paint! 
Actually re-claimed doors but let's not quibble it's too early...
The fields are humming already. Choirs of insects sing ~ the grasses sway. The dew drops balance like pearls of sweat, the flowers tangle with the grass, no-one is sure who came with who to this dance.
Where the field runs into the garden fringes it seems to be beckoning the roses, "go wild!"
And the long day yawns ahead. 
~~~
The fields are "half-cut!" Drowsy and swoon inducing is the scent of a fallen wildflower meadow. Sorrel, Sweet Vernal, Birdsfoot Trefoil, Tufted Vetch, Clover, seeds and husks all jumbled like a giant bowl of nature's pot-pourri. It smells so sweet...honeydew, golden mead. I think it may be the greatest tea I'll never taste. The tractor drowns out the insects. Cutting long into the evening and the dark.
 Dusk is purple and gold. I head for the fields with Sauvignon and Boodle.
We yawn, the long day stretches behind us. 
Food for the winter.
 ~~~
I suspect I am talking to myself, but should you happen upon this post "Hello! Hello!"
I have been, and continue to be "here" Down the Lane. We are building a new piece of Lane which, whilst exciting, is also utterly terrifying and consuming. I promise to share all with you once we are respectable! In the meantime sending summery greetings or winter greetings to my Faraway friends!
 ~x~

 PS If you are interested in finding out more about native grasses and meadow flowers, The Wildlife Trust is an excellent resource.

7 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely beautiful, what a place to be on a summers day.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello-you are not talking to yourself! I've been waiting at the top of the drive in the snow and rain by the mail box. What a lovely warm breath of Summer to warm us chilly down here in Australia. Boodle may be interested in my girl Venus -seen here http://artlifegarden.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/a-splendid-fellow.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You alway paint such such a pretty picture with your words, and your photos are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully woven words which tell a delightful story. Summer is here and it's going to be a warm one! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant post! I've been away for a while but am very glad to be back...Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may be tardy getting to them but I always read your beautiful posts Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for contacting me! I love to hear from you it makes me smile x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.