Tuesday 29 July 2014

Big "Siss"

A few weeks ago I tumbled into Sissinghurst. Tangled, jangled at odds with myself. I cursed my own stupidity, it was a warm mid-summerish mid-morning and I tipped up with coach loads of Garden Tours...literally coach chaos! And still, amidst the thrumming Big "Siss" delivered!


In the arched brick entrance, notes from the head gardener written onto a slate with single blooms arranged in a lovely  wooden stand. Terracotta pots labeled in chalk...simple and honest, I make a mental note to do this myself...instead of a gift tag.You can read more from the gardeners here.




Garden and buildings converge at Sissinghurst to create a beautiful English symphony of brickwork, oak timbers, hung tiles all festooned with foliage and flower. They heighten one another.

I saw something of Vita in this statuesque visitor, perfectly attired visitor.

Heady? Yes! I scuttled away from the madding crowd and headed for the giant archway wondering how Adam Nicolson and Sarah Raven had progressed their vision of reinstating the kitchen garden. The view through is bucolic indeed...

A walk past a meadow brimful with sweet grass and dozing lambs brings me to a fully formed and large kitchen garden with flowers for cutting...hooray...

 
Just glorious to see big Siss looking so fantastic!
 I consider Sissinghurst the elder sister to my other favourite gardens Great Dixter and of course Perch Hill.

My head is swirling with iris and rose scented joy...summertime breezes whisper in my ear.
Inhaling deeply I head for home.
~x~

7 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lovely garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful - I have never visited as it is at the other end of the country - Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very pretty garden, I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous30 July, 2014

    Thanks for your very kind blog about Sissinghurst, Sarah. So glad you enjoyed your visit, you certainly visited at a great time for seeing some lovely flowers. I see from your photos that the irises and eremurus were both flowering, I love them both! Helen (gardener)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!

    Oh my dear, did you see that there was a fire at the Eastbourne Pier? Such a shame, I love it so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is such a beautiful place, I really need to go back for another visit.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures. I miss England so much and your pictures are great reminders of what I have lost. I love the gardens and oldness. Great memories thank you
    Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for contacting me! I love to hear from you it makes me smile x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.