Saturday 3 October 2009

Crafty Victorians

Ok, so I mean Victorians from Victoria, Australia.

Although I imagine the Victorians were very crafty what with all that needlework and decoupage!

Sorry I digress already!

Anyway the the thing is that as you may know there is a wonderful community of creative clever people in Fitzroy, Melbourne.

Clustered around Brunswick, Gertrude, Smith and George Streets are many wonderful independant artists and crafts people and I just had to take a stroll around with my Design Guide in hand (check it out here: http://www.melbournedesignguide.com/ )

Top of my list was here on Brunswick Street, Meet Me at Mikes ( http://www.meetmeatmikes.blogspot.com/ )

Behind the Babushka you can see the window!
The Babushkas are in a park opposite the shop and so it follows that it has become a shop symbol

I was delighted to meet Pip Lincolne the famed owner of Meet me at Mikes, giant granny square crocheter, writer of the craft book and woman who knows a thing or two about clogs.
I urge you to check out her book which is now available from Amazon here in the UK, hooray.

"From Melbourne's best loved crafty store comes Meet Me at Mikes, a cornucopia of crafty fun and inspiration. Queen of Crafters Pip Lincolne has gathered 26 of the best projects from the country's most creative cleverbods"
I could wax on all day but suffice to say the shop is full of unique vintage books, wallpapers, prints, toys and ephemera. I especially liked the Fitting Room wallpapered in Vintage Ladybird book images.

Not actually in Melbourne but up the road in Daylesford is LARK ( http://www.the-lark.blogspot.com/ ) I have been a fan of Lark for some time and was really chuffed that Allison (owner and lovely English girl Down Under ) was due to open her new shop whilst I was there!
In proper Calamity Jane style I rocked up a day early, silly billy!
Allison has kindly allowed me to show these images of the shop, isn't it great?
You can read all about it on Allison's blog.


When I was at the airport waiting to fly home I bought a copy of an Australian magazine called Country Style. Lo and behold there was a lovely article featuring Allison and her family! Which was nearly as nice as meeting her in person!




Back on Gertrude Street I stumble across the most divine tree, covered in lace doilies! Heavenly. Created by the fabulous Miss PenPen ( http://www.misspenpen.blogspot.com/ )
You know I have a penchant for guerilla knitting, this looks so good and turning around I see......

...this delightful shop front


Oh girls, it is so fab, I could move in!
Cottage Industry ( http://www.cottageindustry.bogspot.com/ ) is the brainchild of Penelope Durston Queen of salvaged fabric and fabulous pom pom hats.


I honestly could have bought everything in the shop!
Penelope is fabulous too it was a treat to meet her.

And so you are wondering what did come home with me, well I carried this treasure home with me and had a marvelous trying out ceremony to decide where it would live.

Gorgeous cushion made from this fabilous vintage fabric,
I LOVE IT!


It gets better as the fabric on the reverse is just as good!
Reminds me of some of the fantastic prints in CK's book IN PRINT


One side for Summer and one side for Winter, what could be better?


Sorry about the blurry photography, but I really wanted to show the beautiful colour palette

I love how painterly this side looks

Now that it is snug in The Snug I love it even more


I shall be cosying up with it this weekend whilst watching a certain dance extravaganza!


Back soon with more Victorian tales x

21 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a wonderful time, thanks for sharing it with us. Love the cushion, it looks great in your home. Can't wait to hear more of your adventures, those shops look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic time! The cushion is fab and those shops! Suzie. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your living room is lovely!
    I so enjoyed your post today...very pretty and interesting the russian dolls are amazing!
    The shops super nice!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an amazing place, the doily tree is great. Your cushion is very pretty and a great reminder of a wonderful trip.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank you for your tour...I have visited your lovely area only once but I do want to go back! Your living room looks so cozy and lovely...I agree all I would want to do is snuggle up all weekend long in a room like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "woman who knows a thing or two about clogs." has to be the best line I've read all day! :D Charming pictures and tales, really interesting to see what inspired you. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooohhh I do love shop's like that one. My nephew brought me a set of Rusian doll's back from Russia and they' re royal blue...soooo lovely...love Lucey x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the dolls, so cute! The world is such a great place, so full of wonderful people so talented in so many ways. Thanks for sharing all that, blogging just makes me love everyone! Come say hi :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay! it's always so lovely to see a place you know so well through the eyes of someone else. and it sounds like you met some rockin people, in some fab places, who treated you well! so glad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh some more blogs to go and wander around! I love your cushion, it looks super snuggly and plumpy.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very spooky indeed. My sister has lived in Brunswick Street for two years and is leaving there tomorrow to travel and returning to the UK in December. I haven't managed to visit there because of babies and pennies. I had no clue that Meet Me at Mike's was based there. Blog connections!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all of these shops! So adorable. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow! I've never been to Melbourne but now I want to go even more. (It's about a 30 hour drive from where I live.)

    Coincidentally, I was just reading on Belle and Boo's blog how Lark was now carrying a range of her designs. Did you see them?

    Love your cushion, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No Wonder you felt blue coming back after having had such a fantastic time! So lucky to have met these interesting bloggers and seen their shops. I love the Lark, always sellinbg lovely things.
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have cushions just like those! they are really pretty, I love them a lot

    your adventures sound cool x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely to read about your trip...look forward to the next part!The cushion is a great find.

    Bellaboo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this trip

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful shops!
    Can't wait to read more about your trip xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you had fun, Russian dolls are popping up everywhere aren't they.

    Victoria x

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW, what a fab time you had!!!
    I’m feeling a lot better now and as for college it’s a lot harder than I thought it would be…it was so sweet of you too ask.
    I’m off too have another good read of your post!

    Have a lovely day love Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Wow! I so want to visit this place, so many wonderful ideas and treasures to loo at, especially Lark! Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for contacting me! I love to hear from you it makes me smile x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.